Office 365 Backup
“With Office 365, it’s your data. You own it. You control it.”
That means if data is accidentally lost, deleted or maliciously attacked, it’s your problem, not Microsoft’s.
Office 365 fits the needs of many organizations perfectly. As a software as a service (SaaS) it is extremely reliable and checks many boxes. However, there is often a misunderstanding between Microsoft’s perceived responsibility and the user’s responsibility when it comes to protecting and retaining O365 data.
5 reasons why backing up Office 365 with The Scarlett Group may be critical to your organization:
- Legal & Compliance Requirements: You may need to unexpectedly retrieve emails, files or other types of data pending legal action. O365 does have several safety nets with litigation hold, but it may not be robust enough to keep your organization out of legal trouble. If you accidentally delete a user, their on-hold mailbox, personal SharePoint site and OneDrive accounts are also deleted. Depending on legal and compliance requirements (which vary between industries and governments), this can lead to fines, penalties and lengthy legal disputes.
- Accidental Deletion: There are two types of deletions with the O365 platform: a soft delete and a hard delete. A soft delete is recoverable, but a hard delete is not. Information lost during a hard delete is irretrievable.
- Retention Policy Gaps: O365 has limited backup and retention polices that can help with some situational data losses; however, it is not intended to be a full back-up solution. A point-in-time restoration of mailbox items is not offered by O365.
- Internal Security Threats: When we think of cybersecurity threats we generally think of hackers and viruses. However, more organizations are experiencing threats from the inside:
- The threat of a terminated employee deleting critical company data before they depart.
- The threat of a user unknowingly downloading infected files or accidentally leaking usernames or passwords.
- Evidence tampering. Consider the possibility of an employee deliberately deleting incriminating emails or files, keeping information beyond the reach of legal or compliance departments.
- External Security Threats: Malware and viruses like ransomware do serious damage. Often O365 backup/recovery functions are inadequate to handle serious attacks. Regular backups outside of O365 ensure that you have a separate, uninfected copy of your data and that you can recover quickly.
The solution, get Scarlett's Office 365 Backup service.